Wednesday, November 28, 2007

# 18 Online productivity

Zoho writer is quite easy to use and has similar icons to what people are used to in Microsoft office products. The ability to share documents is great because it means that you could have one master document that several people at different locations could alter. I can see this being useful for staff rosters etc. The export facility is also great because it means you could quickly change a document to HTML for a website etc.
My only concern with the product is security. I had logged into Zoho writer earlier in the morning and started a document but got called away from my desk. When I went back to use it the screen had frozen/timed out. I tried to log out properly and somehow ended up in the account of another person - not quite sure how that happened but the fact that it happened so easily was a bit disturbing.
I like the look of Google docs - realized how useful it could be when I attended a talk about how to set up a Learning 2.0 program and was told that it was used for staff progress tracking. When I have more time I will test it out and see if our rostering group is interested in using it to publish roster details.

No comments: