Friday, November 30, 2007

# 23 Is this really the end? Or just the beginning ...

Before I started the Learning 2.0 program I had no idea of the number of amazing programs available on the web, or that a lot of them are free. My favourite discoveries were things like the image generators/tools which enabled you to be creative and do things with photos etc. I could see great potential there for people with hobbies such as scrapbooking. I also liked exploring wikis and the web based office tools such for word processing. I think that things like Google docs could be used to improve our rostering system and provide a central place to update our staff roster and enable staff to view it easily.
Staff that have completed the course are using what they have learned. Yesterday when a customer came into one of our branches that doesn't have wordprocessing PCs and there was an internet PC free they suggested that the customer use Zoho writer. This meant a happy and satisfied customer. I think staff are also a bit more confident about playing with new technology after doing the course.
While doing the program I could see certain tools that would be useful for particular departments so my aim now is to see if I can talk to some of the teams and show them these tools in the hope of making their jobs easier and improving our service to customers.
The biggest thing I have learnt is the need to explore the web and have a look at what is out there. Often in our jobs we get swamped by our day to day tasks and don't take the time to try new things. This means that we can miss out on valuable opportunities to improve our work technology or the chance to offer new services to our customers. My plan from now on is to try and set aside a little time every day to try new things.

No comments: